Skip to main content

The pursuit and the press- Part 2

PRESS.
image from web
My desire for God must drive me to the throne of God. I must press, like the woman with the issue of blood-- I must persevere. There has to be an inner desperation, a dire thirst in my soul that longs for God.
O God, You are my God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You In a dry and thirsty land Where there is no water.- Psalm 63:1
My soul longs, yes, even faints For the courts of the Lord; My heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.- Psalm 84:2
 I spread out my hands to You; My soul longs for You like a thirsty land. Selah- Psalm 143:6
What brought David to the point of his flesh - his flesh(!)- longing for the Lord?
Well the flesh [basar] used here is in context of the tangible body- rather than the carnal nature of man as we'd normally translate it in the new testament. So David was saying his soul and his physical body longs for God.

Have you ever been there? Where your natural body benefits from being in the presence of God?
I have.
When the presence of God washes over me, yes, my spirit feels peace yet physically my shoulders feel lighter. My physical eyes feel brighter when I rise up from the altar. My natural head feels unburdened.
Yet, even with the physical benefits of praying and communing with God, the flesh- the carnal nature- fights.

My response must be to fight back.
 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.-2 Corinthians 10:4-6

Decisions must be made. We cannot serve two masters. I must let go of what disables my communion with God and instead hold onto things that enable my communion with God.
The more we resist the Devil he will run away.

Our pursuit of God must drive us into the daily press, the daily death,and the everyday renewal of vows of commitment to the Lord. We must decide all over again to reject vanity and stretch longingly toward the eternal.

Choose this day and every day who you will serve.

Fight a good fight.
Finish the course.
Keep the faith.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Christmas Blessing

Peace & love everybody! I've been so excited it's been hard to contain myself regarding today's mission! I hope that after reading this post, you'll be as encouraged as I am now! Known by most today as "the last Stalinist country" and according to VOM, "one of the most repressive and isolated regimes in the world", North Korea needs our prayers, monetary support, and volunteers. It's even being reported that a holocaust is occurring there as I'm writing this! Christians are being tortured, killed, and having "experiments" run on them all because they testify that Jesus is their Lord. Read a short synopsis of what Persecution.com has to say about North Korea and check out their related links. Thanks to our family over at The Voice of the Martyrs, we will be able to encourage and support our North Korean brothers and sisters! With our donations of $50 we will be able to sponsor a package that will have hard-to-get essentials,

Earnestly contend for the Faith: Jude

Today's passage is Revelation 18-22, but here I am one book behind in Jude. I just wanted to spend some time in this one chaptered book. I love that the Word of God is LIVELY and ACTIVE, and, though never changing, it is always revealing. I got stuck on Jude verse 3. The words EARNESTLY and CONTEND, made me think, wow, we have to put up a fight for this thing. I read, and scribbled in my notebook as I went through. Here is what I wrote:

child logic: waitress vs. God

That sounds like something my 6 year old would say! Malachi 3:10-12 (King James Version) 10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 11And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts. 12And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.