Skip to main content

The Comforter, The Holy Ghost

Just think- the disciples had the privilege of being in the company of God.
They laughed with Jesus. They talked and prayed with Jesus. They walked with Jesus, had lunch and fished with Jesus.  Jesus slept among them, and he was the physical shoulder they could lean on.
Ah, what great honor.

So imagine the sadness as they watched him endure the cross, and give his last breath. Imagine the emptiness when their master and friend was laid in a borrowed tomb. Imagine the emotional high and then the quickly following low, as their newly revealed and ressurected Lord was taken up in a cloud as they watched him til they could see him no more.

But before he left them gazing up toward the sky, he reminded them that the comforter he told them about, the promise from the Father, the Holy Ghost, would come to them in a few days from now.

The anticipation of the promise, and the command to go and wait for it, found 120 disciples, the apostles among them, in a room in the upper floor of a house where they were meeting.

Taken from sodahead.com

Enter the comforter.
With a great sound, they are overtaken by the Spirit of our Holy God. The holy Spirit makes evident the possession of their body, by taking control of the one thing James 3:5-8 says can be controlled by no man- the tongue.
Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
 

Miraculously and divineley, a language is expressed from them, unlearned and unknown to themselves.  Imagine their minds swelling with excitement as they recognize what is going on. This is it! This is the promise of the holy Spirit. The comforter has come! And oh!- wait!- I recognize this Spirit. I- I know this Spirit. This is the Spirit of my master, my friend, my Lord. I don't see him, but , Oh! I can feel Him. It's, It's really HIm! I recognize his voice. I recognize his countenance.
Can you imagine? recognizing God in you? Oh yes, how comforted they must have been to feel the Spirit of the same Jesus whom they saw just days ago, dwelling in them. He was there with them.
Jesus is here!- in me! I have peace, I have joy, I have power to witness, for I can walk like Him.  He possesses me, and I am excited and emboldened by this wonderful reality.
The comforter, The holy Ghost, has come.
And the experience is just as real today as it was the day it first fell.
Malachi 3:10b
...prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
 
Warmest thoughts and Prayers,
Chantel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Christmas Blessing

Peace & love everybody! I've been so excited it's been hard to contain myself regarding today's mission! I hope that after reading this post, you'll be as encouraged as I am now! Known by most today as "the last Stalinist country" and according to VOM, "one of the most repressive and isolated regimes in the world", North Korea needs our prayers, monetary support, and volunteers. It's even being reported that a holocaust is occurring there as I'm writing this! Christians are being tortured, killed, and having "experiments" run on them all because they testify that Jesus is their Lord. Read a short synopsis of what Persecution.com has to say about North Korea and check out their related links. Thanks to our family over at The Voice of the Martyrs, we will be able to encourage and support our North Korean brothers and sisters! With our donations of $50 we will be able to sponsor a package that will have hard-to-get essentials,

Earnestly contend for the Faith: Jude

Today's passage is Revelation 18-22, but here I am one book behind in Jude. I just wanted to spend some time in this one chaptered book. I love that the Word of God is LIVELY and ACTIVE, and, though never changing, it is always revealing. I got stuck on Jude verse 3. The words EARNESTLY and CONTEND, made me think, wow, we have to put up a fight for this thing. I read, and scribbled in my notebook as I went through. Here is what I wrote:

child logic: waitress vs. God

That sounds like something my 6 year old would say! Malachi 3:10-12 (King James Version) 10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 11And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts. 12And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.