Skip to main content

Forgetting God?

Yesterday I was flipping through the pages of my 4 year old's bible- a Gideon published New Testament- and was pleasantly surprised by what I found in the prefacing pages.
A few songs were shared there, anthems, such as "Jesus, Lover of my soul", "The Star -Spangled Banner", "Onward, Christian soldiers" and "America ( My country 'tis of thee)". The songs themselves were not the surprise. It was the verses that are not generally sung or mainstream.

We may all belt out, skillfully or unskillfully,

O say ! can you see, by the dawn's early light....


Yet the song has this  4th verse:

O thus be it ever when freemen shall stand
Between their lov'd homes and the war's desolation!
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserved us a nation...


Or how about this one:

My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing...


Yet take a look at verse 4:

Our father's God, to thee,
author of liberty,
to thee we sing;
long may our land be bright
with freedom's holy light;
protect us by thy might,
Great God our King.


 My initial thought after reading and re-reading the words to these popular songs, was , wow. Look how far America has come. Our King is no longer  the great God, and our land is in dire need of Heaven's rescue.  This nation does not sing to God any longer, but to itself only. Could the reason be, that those of us who call ourselves Christians, have failed, to exemplify the words in this final song:

Chorus: Onward Christian soldiers, fighting as to war, with the cross of Jesus, going on before


Verse 2: Like a mighty army moves the church of God;
brothers we are treading where the saints have trod;
We are not divided, All one body we,
One in hope and doctrine,One in charity


Psalm 33:12 says Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord.
Psalm 144:15 says Happy is that people whose God is the Lord.


Prayerfully you enjoyed a warm and wonderful and fairly restful, Thanks-Giving Day. Of course in the life of a christian, Thanks Giving is the life we live- living a life in a way that says thanks to God for his great sacrifice.  We must be careful to make sure we are not just thankful for the things we have, but that our thanks, is directed to the one who provided these things for us.


Jeremiah 13:25

This is your lot, the portion I have decreed for you," declares the LORD, "because you have forgotten me and trusted in false gods.



We cannot longer afford to forget or neglect the God of the earth. He is soon to come. And when he comes, will he find faith on the earth? ( Luke 18:8)
If Jesus Christ, Jehovah revealed, is your God, then He will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earnestly contend for the Faith: Jude

Today's passage is Revelation 18-22, but here I am one book behind in Jude. I just wanted to spend some time in this one chaptered book. I love that the Word of God is LIVELY and ACTIVE, and, though never changing, it is always revealing. I got stuck on Jude verse 3. The words EARNESTLY and CONTEND, made me think, wow, we have to put up a fight for this thing. I read, and scribbled in my notebook as I went through. Here is what I wrote:

Mission: Christmas Blessing

Peace & love everybody! I've been so excited it's been hard to contain myself regarding today's mission! I hope that after reading this post, you'll be as encouraged as I am now! Known by most today as "the last Stalinist country" and according to VOM, "one of the most repressive and isolated regimes in the world", North Korea needs our prayers, monetary support, and volunteers. It's even being reported that a holocaust is occurring there as I'm writing this! Christians are being tortured, killed, and having "experiments" run on them all because they testify that Jesus is their Lord. Read a short synopsis of what Persecution.com has to say about North Korea and check out their related links. Thanks to our family over at The Voice of the Martyrs, we will be able to encourage and support our North Korean brothers and sisters! With our donations of $50 we will be able to sponsor a package that will have hard-to-get essentials, ...

Mission: Water4Christmas

Hi all! It's Missions Monday!! I get so excited! Truly! While on Beautiful Mess-Psalm 40 's blog, I was touched so deeply by her post on Water For Christmas! It's definitely a cause to support! We have all kinds of gadgets, movies, CDs, and gift cards that are all just distractions waiting to be bought and given this Christmas holiday. But there are over a billion of people all over the world who don't have access to clean water! Ridiculous! We're dying and killing ourselves over debt but our brothers & sisters are dying because of lack of clean water. Water has so many more  uses besides just drinking! Charity:water  says that the average American uses 150 gallons of water a day while the average person in a developing country struggles to find 5 gallons! This is what charity:water says to the question "Why water?" U nsafe water and lack of basic sanitation cause 80% of all sickness and disease, and kill more people every year than all forms of...