Skip to main content

Every Man according to his service- no more than we can bear

I shake my head at myself as I continue slowly through the book of Numbers. Getting past chapter 7 has proven to be a challenge. I have read and reread the beginning of this chapter several times already. And then I stop. Sometimes it's because of a "light-bulb" moment. Sometimes it's external forces at work. I have not made it to the end. It disappoints me. I want to finish. Then I read...

Numbers 7: 3-9
3And they brought their offering before the LORD, six covered wagons, and twelve oxen; a wagon for two of the princes, and for each one an ox: and they brought them before the tabernacle.
 4And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
 5Take it of them, that they may be to do the service of the tabernacle of the congregation; and thou shalt give them unto the Levites, to every man according to his service.
 6And Moses took the wagons and the oxen, and gave them unto the Levites.
 7Two wagons and four oxen he gave unto the sons of Gershon, according to their service:
 8And four wagons and eight oxen he gave unto the sons of Merari, according unto their service, under the hand of Ithamar the son of Aaron the priest.
 9But unto the sons of Kohath he gave none: because the service of the sanctuary belonging unto them was that they should bear upon their shoulders.




When God instructed Moses to distribute the gift offerings to the Levites, each family unit had their distinct part to play in the upkeep of the tabernacle. From the outside looking in it seems disproportionate. But God never puts on us more than we can bear. Maybe the sons of Kohath were gifted with other-worldly strength, and could "bear upon their shoulders". Maybe the sons of Kohath were prideful and  to "bear upon their shoulders" helped maintain their humble spirit. Maybe the sons of Kohath, were the very opposite, needing a boost in their confidence as men, and to "bear upon their shoulders" ignited their self-esteem. Only God knows.
With the entire family of God, only  God knows as well. One may wonder why this one seems more gifted or blessed than the next. One may think it unfair that one sister or brother or another is seemingly going through more valleys than the next.  It may seem that this person has more "time" to give to God, or the other can't break even with time to spend with God. Just know that God, who is all-seeing, knows the deepest, most intricate parts of us. than even we could ever know. He knows the precise experiences it will take to mold us into the complete person in God we are to be. Our lives are inter-woven with the lives of others that we may not even know exist. 
My prayer today is that we learn to look through the eyes of the Lord, at ourselves, and those around us. I pray that we seek him with all that we have to give. That is what he expects- not more or less. Through the day relate to him with all that we have to give. Each season in our life varies from one to the next. But be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruits, in its season.
God plans our seasons. He knows them. He gives to every one of his children according to our service- what he expects from us. He doesn't put more on us than we can bear, so why should we?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Christmas Blessing

Peace & love everybody! I've been so excited it's been hard to contain myself regarding today's mission! I hope that after reading this post, you'll be as encouraged as I am now! Known by most today as "the last Stalinist country" and according to VOM, "one of the most repressive and isolated regimes in the world", North Korea needs our prayers, monetary support, and volunteers. It's even being reported that a holocaust is occurring there as I'm writing this! Christians are being tortured, killed, and having "experiments" run on them all because they testify that Jesus is their Lord. Read a short synopsis of what Persecution.com has to say about North Korea and check out their related links. Thanks to our family over at The Voice of the Martyrs, we will be able to encourage and support our North Korean brothers and sisters! With our donations of $50 we will be able to sponsor a package that will have hard-to-get essentials,

Earnestly contend for the Faith: Jude

Today's passage is Revelation 18-22, but here I am one book behind in Jude. I just wanted to spend some time in this one chaptered book. I love that the Word of God is LIVELY and ACTIVE, and, though never changing, it is always revealing. I got stuck on Jude verse 3. The words EARNESTLY and CONTEND, made me think, wow, we have to put up a fight for this thing. I read, and scribbled in my notebook as I went through. Here is what I wrote:

child logic: waitress vs. God

That sounds like something my 6 year old would say! Malachi 3:10-12 (King James Version) 10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 11And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts. 12And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.