Skip to main content

Why all the fuss? Deuteronomy 1-3

Holiness: why all the fuss?

This was the title of the message delivered by my pastor yesterday.
Holiness is a word for separation,and today's reading in Deuteronomy
1-3,brought it back to memory.
In particular I paused and considered verses 30-34 of chapter two.
  30 But Sihon king of Heshbon would not let us pass by him: for the
LORD thy God hardened his spirit, and made his heart obstinate, that he
might deliver him into thy hand, as appeareth this day.

  31 And the LORD said unto me, Behold, I have begun to give Sihon and
his land before thee: begin to possess, that thou mayest inherit his
land.

  32 Then Sihon came out against us, he and all his people, to fight at
Jahaz.

  33 And the LORD our God delivered him before us; and we smote him,
and his sons, and all his people.

  34 And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the
men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to
remain:

I read this and thought, wow. They left NONE to remain. It seems that
there couldn't possibly be any harm in letting the little ones
remain,right?

In our lives todays there are areas that oppose God's authority. It
opposes God's character and builds a wall against his patient work of
love in our life in entirety. We may get rid of the so-called big
things, but we leave alone the little things that we hope God
overlooks. Its actually these things,that cause us to stumble more.
These "smaller" transgressions are easier to ignore,because they are not
so obvious. I'm talking about the things that are not sin,in and of
itself, but it takes away from our relationship with our Father. I'm
speaking of the activities we engage in that have our earnest
attention,more than the almighty God.
Even down to the little things, God knows that a "little leaven,
leavens the whole lump". It's best then, to have complete, and not
partial, distinction;separation from the world must be complete.
Realistically,it may not be immediate,when first committing your life to
Jesus,but it should be consistent,constant, and intentional. Living for
God is not about a list of "Thou shalt nots" ,it is a free experience of
God's limitless love. Every thing he shares with us and cautions us
of,is because God loves us.
I tell my children not to run after the ball in the street,not because I
have something against them,the ball ,or their fun. I am protecting them
from the oncoming vehicle they are curiously unaware of.
Why all the fuss?
God is our Father. He loves us. He sees what's around
us,even when we are so consumed by self-pleasure, and life in general.
If your desire is to be drawn closer to the Lord, do some truthful
examination today of what may be, like the King of Heshbon,obstinate.
Let's utterly destroy everything that stands in the way, so that we can
experience the victory God desires for us.
-Chantel
"Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in good
health, even as thy soul continually prospers" 1 John 3:2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Christmas Blessing

Peace & love everybody! I've been so excited it's been hard to contain myself regarding today's mission! I hope that after reading this post, you'll be as encouraged as I am now! Known by most today as "the last Stalinist country" and according to VOM, "one of the most repressive and isolated regimes in the world", North Korea needs our prayers, monetary support, and volunteers. It's even being reported that a holocaust is occurring there as I'm writing this! Christians are being tortured, killed, and having "experiments" run on them all because they testify that Jesus is their Lord. Read a short synopsis of what Persecution.com has to say about North Korea and check out their related links. Thanks to our family over at The Voice of the Martyrs, we will be able to encourage and support our North Korean brothers and sisters! With our donations of $50 we will be able to sponsor a package that will have hard-to-get essentials,

Earnestly contend for the Faith: Jude

Today's passage is Revelation 18-22, but here I am one book behind in Jude. I just wanted to spend some time in this one chaptered book. I love that the Word of God is LIVELY and ACTIVE, and, though never changing, it is always revealing. I got stuck on Jude verse 3. The words EARNESTLY and CONTEND, made me think, wow, we have to put up a fight for this thing. I read, and scribbled in my notebook as I went through. Here is what I wrote:

child logic: waitress vs. God

That sounds like something my 6 year old would say! Malachi 3:10-12 (King James Version) 10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 11And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts. 12And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.