Skip to main content

Nevertheless at thy word, I will

Nevertheless at thy word, I will
Luke 5:6
Jesus asked Simon to let down a net for fish. Peter replied that they
had been working for the purpose all night without success. I don't know
how many times they let down the net. But all night is all night. Peter
was a professional, so I am sure he employed his expertise when he went
for fish.
Now here Jesus tells him to do what he knew he had already done. What
was the difference?
It was spoken by the Lord. The mere fact at God's word being God's word
settled it for Peter. He didn't fully understand, but he knew the
credibility of the Lord. He simply believed that what He said would be.
"Never the less, at your word, I will..." was Peter's response. He had
to let go of logic and what "made sense" and simply trust God.

It is in this same vein that God wants us to come to Him- as little
children (Eph. 5:1)- simply trusting, beyond our understanding. When we
take God at His Word- and simply believe, we will go from faith to
faith, receiving revelations off His Word (Rom. 1:17). We may at the
first see through a glass darkly (1 cor.13:12), but little by little the
eyes of our understanding will be enlightened (Eph. 1:18). We will see
clearly in time, what had once been dark to us. For if this gospel be
hid, it is hidden to them who are lost (2 Cor. 4:3). This does not mean
that there are those destined to be lost. The lost are those who choose
not to believe, for according to Ephesians we are destined to sonship.
The navigation system can tell you where to go, but you still have a
choice to follow the directions to your destination. The truth of God is
hidden only to those who would rather question than believe.
How many of us are willing to let go of the "wisdom of man" as Paul says
in 1 Corinthians 2:5, and say to the Lord "Never the less, at thy word,
I will..."- Luke 5:6?

1 Corinthians 1:18-21 (Amplified Bible)

18 For the story and message of the cross is sheer absurdity and folly
to those who are perishing and on their way to perdition, but to us who
are being saved it is the [manifestation of] the power of God.

    19 For it is written, I will baffle and render useless and destroy
the learning of the learned and the philosophy of the philosophers and
the cleverness of the clever and the discernment of the discerning; I
will frustrate and nullify [them] and bring [them] to nothing. ( A )

    20 Where is the wise man (the philosopher)? Where is the scribe
(the scholar)? Where is the investigator (the logician, the debater) of
this present time and age? Has not God shown up the nonsense and the
folly of this world's wisdom?

    21 For when the world with all its earthly wisdom failed to
perceive and recognize and know God by means of its own philosophy, God
in His wisdom was pleased through the foolishness of preaching
[salvation, procured by Christ and to be had through Him], to save those
who believed (who clung to and trusted in and relied on Him).
-Chantel

"Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in good
health, even as thy soul continually prospers" 1 John 3:2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Christmas Blessing

Peace & love everybody! I've been so excited it's been hard to contain myself regarding today's mission! I hope that after reading this post, you'll be as encouraged as I am now! Known by most today as "the last Stalinist country" and according to VOM, "one of the most repressive and isolated regimes in the world", North Korea needs our prayers, monetary support, and volunteers. It's even being reported that a holocaust is occurring there as I'm writing this! Christians are being tortured, killed, and having "experiments" run on them all because they testify that Jesus is their Lord. Read a short synopsis of what Persecution.com has to say about North Korea and check out their related links. Thanks to our family over at The Voice of the Martyrs, we will be able to encourage and support our North Korean brothers and sisters! With our donations of $50 we will be able to sponsor a package that will have hard-to-get essentials,

Earnestly contend for the Faith: Jude

Today's passage is Revelation 18-22, but here I am one book behind in Jude. I just wanted to spend some time in this one chaptered book. I love that the Word of God is LIVELY and ACTIVE, and, though never changing, it is always revealing. I got stuck on Jude verse 3. The words EARNESTLY and CONTEND, made me think, wow, we have to put up a fight for this thing. I read, and scribbled in my notebook as I went through. Here is what I wrote:

child logic: waitress vs. God

That sounds like something my 6 year old would say! Malachi 3:10-12 (King James Version) 10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 11And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts. 12And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.