Skip to main content

Hand in Hand: The Word and Prayer

Hand in Hand
In m opinion, nothing goes more perfectly with oreo cookies than a nice
hand-dunkable-sized glass, or mug if you will, of ice cold milk. Yum!
There are other things that I feel pair well together: a hot cup of tea
and a good book or crossword puzzle; mashed potatoes and gravy; my
husband and I. The list most certainly goes on.
I have been inspired to take a deeper look into this Word reading
business, and I have come to recognize that all the reading of the bible
will not do as much good if not accompanied by its counter part- the
gift and privilege of prayer.
Here are some inspiring words that I thought were worth sharing:
" If you abide in my word, you are my disciples indeed. And you shall
know the truth and the truth shall make you free" -John 8:31-32
"If you abide in me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you
desire,and it shall be done for you" - John 15:7
Abide means to live, to dwell, to reside.
"You have to live with Christ to know him"- Charles Spurgeon
"Because thou hast made the Lord [synomous with the Word according to
John 1:1]... thy habitation, there shall no evil... come nigh thy
dwelling" -Psalm 91:9-10
When we dwell, abide in the word, which is abiding in the Lord,it
inspires ongoing communication and communion.

"One of the first results of our abiding within Christ is the most
certain exercise of prayer"-Charles Spurgeon
"Prayer comes spontaneously from those who abide in Jesus"-Charles Spurgeon
Spontaneous- unprompted, nonplanned, resulting from a natural impulse or
tendency,without effort or premeditation, natural and
unconstrained,self-generated

This business of abiding really got me to thinking, am I merely a
partaker, rather than an abider?

Being in his Word goes hand in hand with prayer, for an abider in the
Word of God, prompts us 2 pray. Prayer prompts us to his word, which is
God speaking to us, answering our most earnest prayers.
-Chantel
"Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in good
health, even as thy soul continually prospers" 1 John 3:2

Comments

Toyin O. said…
These are great verses and I love Charles Spurgeon quote;thanks for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Christmas Blessing

Peace & love everybody! I've been so excited it's been hard to contain myself regarding today's mission! I hope that after reading this post, you'll be as encouraged as I am now! Known by most today as "the last Stalinist country" and according to VOM, "one of the most repressive and isolated regimes in the world", North Korea needs our prayers, monetary support, and volunteers. It's even being reported that a holocaust is occurring there as I'm writing this! Christians are being tortured, killed, and having "experiments" run on them all because they testify that Jesus is their Lord. Read a short synopsis of what Persecution.com has to say about North Korea and check out their related links. Thanks to our family over at The Voice of the Martyrs, we will be able to encourage and support our North Korean brothers and sisters! With our donations of $50 we will be able to sponsor a package that will have hard-to-get essentials,

Earnestly contend for the Faith: Jude

Today's passage is Revelation 18-22, but here I am one book behind in Jude. I just wanted to spend some time in this one chaptered book. I love that the Word of God is LIVELY and ACTIVE, and, though never changing, it is always revealing. I got stuck on Jude verse 3. The words EARNESTLY and CONTEND, made me think, wow, we have to put up a fight for this thing. I read, and scribbled in my notebook as I went through. Here is what I wrote:

child logic: waitress vs. God

That sounds like something my 6 year old would say! Malachi 3:10-12 (King James Version) 10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 11And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts. 12And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.