Skip to main content

This is the true Grace of God: 1 Peter 4-5

"Helping Hand" by Linda Williams"

Sunday was filled with so much activity as my husband and I prepared to leave our 4 little ones with my parents for the week. We hustled and bustled going over the last minute checklists, throwing things in bags as we walked out the door-  and I still managed to leave the baby's bottle on the counter. But I digress. In all of that I felt peace -the  peace I had in their extended grace of watching the children was assuring. A few hours later, in the air, waching the sun descend like a fiery ball into an horizon of clouds, I was again filled with peace, because of my acceptance of my parents' graciousness.

It was early this Monday morning that I read over yesterday's scripture . I love spending time with God at the dawn of the day. It is such a peaceful time, and happens to be one of the only moments when everyone is asleep, and in the quiet, still, half -light, I can tune into God without the external distractions of the everyday. ( and again I digress)

Now, 1 Peter 5:12 intrigued me mostly because of Peter's tone. It was very real and gentle like a father to child, maybe. I don't know, but something about the fact that he takes the time to write simply to encourage the saints about what they believe in, touched me.

12With the help of Silas, whom I regard as a faithful brother, I have written to you briefly, encouraging you and testifying that this is the true grace of God. Stand fast in it. ( NIV)

Well, my next response was "What is the true grace of God?"

In Titus 2:11-13, grace is doing two things: bringing and teaching. "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously and godly in the present age..."
 The true grace of God brings something- salvation. The true grace of God teaches something- to deny ungodliness ( repent, or turn away) and to live soberly, righteously, and godly ( Holiness-which can only be achieved with the help of God's Spirit).
If grace is bringing us something, what is the response?
Peter answers this in a previous chapter. 
1 Peter 3:21 (New Living Translation)
21 And that water  [in the days of Noah] is a picture of baptism, which now saves you, not by removing dirt from your body, but as a response of a good conscience to God . It is effective because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
     So the response of a good conscience to God is baptism, which now saves us. Ephesians 2:8 tells us "by grace we have been saved through faith." Faith, then , is what enables us to respond to what grace brings us and teaches us. Romans 5:2 tells us that through Jesus, "we have access by faith, into this grace, in which we stand." Faith gives us access to grace. The  faith-driven response, according to 1 Peter 3:21, to what grace offers, is repentance (turning away from your own ways) & baptism . The first thing Peter said after being baptized in the Holy Ghost, the Spirit of God, was " Repent and be baptized every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins and you will receive the gift of the Holy spirit ( Acts 2:38).

Just as our voice enables us, gives us the power to communicate, faith gives us the ability to respond to grace. Our voice in of itself is not the response, but rather what we say with our voice. Likewise, faith is not the response, but rather the vehicle enabling our conscience to respond to God's grace, which saves us.
God, who moves by his own principles, also responds through baptism- baptism of the Holy spirit, which is initially evidenced by the "upload" if you will, of the new family language.

So the "this" the saints are encouraged to stand in is the offer and the teaching of grace, which is salvation through repentance and holiness, achieved through responding by faith to what grace offers and teaches.

Acts 2:37-38

37Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
 38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Christmas Blessing

Peace & love everybody! I've been so excited it's been hard to contain myself regarding today's mission! I hope that after reading this post, you'll be as encouraged as I am now! Known by most today as "the last Stalinist country" and according to VOM, "one of the most repressive and isolated regimes in the world", North Korea needs our prayers, monetary support, and volunteers. It's even being reported that a holocaust is occurring there as I'm writing this! Christians are being tortured, killed, and having "experiments" run on them all because they testify that Jesus is their Lord. Read a short synopsis of what Persecution.com has to say about North Korea and check out their related links. Thanks to our family over at The Voice of the Martyrs, we will be able to encourage and support our North Korean brothers and sisters! With our donations of $50 we will be able to sponsor a package that will have hard-to-get essentials,

Earnestly contend for the Faith: Jude

Today's passage is Revelation 18-22, but here I am one book behind in Jude. I just wanted to spend some time in this one chaptered book. I love that the Word of God is LIVELY and ACTIVE, and, though never changing, it is always revealing. I got stuck on Jude verse 3. The words EARNESTLY and CONTEND, made me think, wow, we have to put up a fight for this thing. I read, and scribbled in my notebook as I went through. Here is what I wrote:

child logic: waitress vs. God

That sounds like something my 6 year old would say! Malachi 3:10-12 (King James Version) 10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 11And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts. 12And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.