Skip to main content

Know what you teach- 1 Timothy 1-3

What makes Paul so admirable in the eyes of today's Christian?


Paul himself made a point to emphasize that he is no more than a vessel, for he declared that in his flesh is nothing good. He shares his inner struggle with his will to do right, and the flesh's seemingly stronger will to please only itself ( Romans 7:17-19).So what is it that draws our hearts to applaud Paul and all he did? His willingness to be wholly subject to the will of God, his total submission to God's Holy Spirit, and his uncompromising adherence to the teachings passed to him by Jesus's followers.

In 1 Timothy, Paul gives personal guidance to his spiritual son, urging him in matters of ministry and leadership. Since we are all called to be ministers, servants to the people of God, it is good to take note of the words of doctrine Paul gives.

The first rule of thumb he is compelled to share is this -
Teach no other doctrine, or teaching, than the one I, coming from direct contact with the Lord, have taught you.

It seems that we must have knowledge of what this teaching is if we are to be entrusted with the gloriuous gospel ( 1 Timothy 1:11).

What did Paul Teach?

1.Separation from carnality , or fleshly impulses (Romans 8:5-10)
2.Baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus (Acts 19:2-5, Acts 22:16)
3. Baptism of the Holy Spirit ( Acts 19:6)
4. Bearing of Spiritual Fruit (Galatians 5:22-23)

Several times in the scripture we read Paul stating to do as you see me do ( 1 Corinthians 4:16, 11:1, Philippians 3:17. In order to voice this, he knew that he would be accountable for the things he taught others and the things others saw him do, and that resulted in the extra care he took in being an example of a believer.

Good teachers and leaders are good followers. Let others follow after us, as we follow after Christ, as Paul himself encourages. Let us have the knowledge to teach, what we are called to teach; Have the wisdom and humility to learn, and the graciousness to share the knowledge of salvation with all who are hungry to know.

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations...teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you" - Matthew 28:19-20

Comments

Anonymous said…
You know, we often put teachers and leaders on pedestals without giving any thought to the fact that WE are teachers and leaders also! What a self-esteem boost! With the same respect we give them, we need to give ourselves. With the same humble submission from us that causes them to have a gracious care for The Word, we need to realize that we have people humbly submitting to us! We need to be ever so careful when administering The Word to those around us. Those can be our children, our parents, our neighbors, our co-workers. We are living, walking, breathing billboards. People should be having encounters with God in us! When you consider the treasure that's stored up in our vessels, we, too, are admirable. Praise Jehovah!

Popular posts from this blog

Mission: Christmas Blessing

Peace & love everybody! I've been so excited it's been hard to contain myself regarding today's mission! I hope that after reading this post, you'll be as encouraged as I am now! Known by most today as "the last Stalinist country" and according to VOM, "one of the most repressive and isolated regimes in the world", North Korea needs our prayers, monetary support, and volunteers. It's even being reported that a holocaust is occurring there as I'm writing this! Christians are being tortured, killed, and having "experiments" run on them all because they testify that Jesus is their Lord. Read a short synopsis of what Persecution.com has to say about North Korea and check out their related links. Thanks to our family over at The Voice of the Martyrs, we will be able to encourage and support our North Korean brothers and sisters! With our donations of $50 we will be able to sponsor a package that will have hard-to-get essentials, ...

Mission: Water4Christmas

Hi all! It's Missions Monday!! I get so excited! Truly! While on Beautiful Mess-Psalm 40 's blog, I was touched so deeply by her post on Water For Christmas! It's definitely a cause to support! We have all kinds of gadgets, movies, CDs, and gift cards that are all just distractions waiting to be bought and given this Christmas holiday. But there are over a billion of people all over the world who don't have access to clean water! Ridiculous! We're dying and killing ourselves over debt but our brothers & sisters are dying because of lack of clean water. Water has so many more  uses besides just drinking! Charity:water  says that the average American uses 150 gallons of water a day while the average person in a developing country struggles to find 5 gallons! This is what charity:water says to the question "Why water?" U nsafe water and lack of basic sanitation cause 80% of all sickness and disease, and kill more people every year than all forms of...

Earnestly contend for the Faith: Jude

Today's passage is Revelation 18-22, but here I am one book behind in Jude. I just wanted to spend some time in this one chaptered book. I love that the Word of God is LIVELY and ACTIVE, and, though never changing, it is always revealing. I got stuck on Jude verse 3. The words EARNESTLY and CONTEND, made me think, wow, we have to put up a fight for this thing. I read, and scribbled in my notebook as I went through. Here is what I wrote: